MANILA, Aug. 12 — The 6.3-magnitude earthquake that struck near Nasugbu, Batangas at 1:28 p.m. Friday did not cause any power outage as it did not affect any energy facility.
In a news release issued late Friday, the Department of Energy (DOE) said that after the quake, major energy facilities situated in Batangas, including the Malampaya offshore platform in the West Philippine Sea, were operating normally and remained in good condition.
The department noted that on the supply side, post-earthquake initial inspections showed that the integrity of the Malampaya subsea pipeline and onshore gas plant was also not affected.
The onshore gas supply line to the natural gas power plants owned by First Gen Corp. (Tabangao-Sta. Rita pipeline) was also being inspected.
On the transmission side, power grid operator National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) reported that power transmission services were stable.
In a separate advisory, the NGCP said the grid remained intact as no power interruption had been reported and that it was assessing transmission facilities in Metro Manila and surrounding areas.
For distribution, the Manila Electric Co. (MERALCO) reported no outage, saying none of its facilities was affected. The utility serving Metro Manila and its nearby provinces has been operating normally.
Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi has directed the DOE to monitor the energy situation continuously and to provide updates when available. (DOE PR)